Badgerball has team effort against Vikings

Not only did the Badgers come back to Wisconsin sporting great tans, they returned with a take-no-prisoners attitude as they blew out Cleveland State 97-55. 

The Badgers (3-1) scored only five seconds into the game and never looked back as they cruised to their 42-point nonconference game win against the Vikings (0-3). 

Leading the way for the Badgers were the senior duo of Jessie Stomski and Tamara Moore. Cleveland State was never able to find anyone who could combat the domination exerted by the two seniors.  

Stomski led all scorers with a season high 27 points and 10 rebounds, marking her 26th career double-double. Moore contributed 22 points, six assists and five steals, in addition to her outstanding defensive pressure.  

The two seniors were not alone in their crisp play, as the game proved to be a real team effort.  

All 15 players on the roster saw some quality playing time and 10 different players scored in the game. Senior center Sarah Jirovec was one of those players as she posted a career-high 14 points. 

\I was very pleased with my entire team tonight; I thought that they showed what a special group they are in a lot of ways,"" Badger Head Coach Jane Albright said. ""Jessie was pretty phenomenal with everything."" 

""Sarah Jirovec had her career high and really had some nice moves that she has really worked on for a very long time, and I was real excited that she got a chance to showcase that. You have to have some really unselfish guards to pound the ball inside like we did.""  

Leading the Vikings in scoring was Lodi, Wis. native Tonya Crum with 12 points. The game was actually scheduled as a favor to Crum, as most collegiate teams attempt to schedule a non-conference game close to the hometowns of some of their players.  

""It's great that Wisconsin kept their promise that I could come home and play in front of my friends and family,"" Crum said. 

The most impressive statistic of the game was points in the paint, in which Wisconsin tripled Cleveland State's total, 60-20 points respectively.  

Stomski, Jirovec, sophomore center Emily Ashbaugh, and freshman forward Ebba Gebisa had their way throughout the night as they dominated the Vikings with their power and skill.  

No matter which combination of players were in the game, the Vikings were no match for the Badgers. 

""My team played as hard as they could,"" Cleveland State Head Coach Duffy Burns said. ""We have 11 freshmen and sophomores who are going to get better. We run and shoot the ball, but we didn't get as many shots off tonight as we would have liked to. Wisconsin's defense had a lot to say about that.""  

""I will tell you right now that as a USA Today Top 25 voter, I am definitely moving the Badgers up in the poll,"" Burns continued. ""Stomski and Moore are the real deal."" 

UW next plays in the Arizona Tournament against Pittsburgh Friday night at 7 p.m. Arizona and Holy Cross will also compete.