Recovery and redemption

After Wisconsin's 32-20 loss to Fresno State Sept. 8, many people left the game with the Badgers' second-half collapse fresh in their minds.  

But what they did not realize was Saturday's game was also a culmination of a remarkable tale of dedication and perseverance.  

Many people have forgotten sophomore tailback Broderick Williams. Prior to the season, he was the only tailback with previous game experience and hoped to continue the Wisconsin rushing legacy under Head Coach Barry Alvarez.  

This spring, as Williams eagerly prepared for his sophomore season, he was ready.  

'I was really confident in what I was doing last April,' Williams said. 'I was very swift'very smooth.'  

As the projected starting tailback, his spirits were high. But then, one day in practice, he hurt his left knee attempting to make a cut. Williams walked off the field under his own power.  

The next day, the verdict was announced: a torn anterior cruciate ligament of the knee. 

What made the injury more demoralizing for Williams was that he had endured the same injury in high school in the other knee. The predicted return time was six to eight months.  

He was expected to miss the season.  

After that fateful practice, Williams had his knee scoped and began his rehab two days later.  

Many people would not have faith in themselves, especially after having gone through the same problem before.  

In high school, Williams missed his entire junior year and most of his senior season, and now he had to go through it all again. But he did not quit, and did not let his spirits down.  

'Rehab was not hard for me, especially after going through the same thing in high school,' Williams said. 'There was a lot of pain, but I took the pain because I knew I needed to get to where I needed to be.'  

His fast recovery is a testament to his hard work and self-motivation.  

'You've got to want to get better yourself, it's got to be me first,' Williams said. 'You've just got to want to get better, and motivate yourself.'  

These words followed Williams throughout his recovery. His inspiration came from within.  

While reading about how he was out for the year, he went about his regimen, and looked forward to surprising Badger fans everywhere.  

Williams worked so hard that it was announced just before the season that Williams would be back week five, against Penn State.  

But Williams again surpassed the odds, and against Fresno State, entered the game and carried the ball twice.  

'It felt good in front of the home crowd,' Williams said, 'I'm surprised I wasn't so nervous.' 

After last week, Williams is ready to get back into the rotation, but it will not happen overnight.  

'I'm just trying to get a little better every game, ' Williams said.  

Alvarez agrees and is looking forward to Williams working his way back into the rotation. However, there are no set number of plays that the sophomore will get against Penn State. 

'Broderick continues to get better as he gets more and more confidence in that leg,' Alvarez said. 'He'll play more. How much, I'm not exactly sure.' 

Williams is working on adjusting his timing to what it used to be.  

'It takes a little while to get used to the speed of the game,' Williams said. 'I'm a little rusty now, but hopefully I'll be able to get back to where I was in April. Once I get there, I'll be able to really elevate my game.'  

All of Wisconsin is watching.