Taylor spoke to the importance of voting and activism by young, energized women.

Chris Taylor meets with students in wake of Kavanaugh confirmation

State Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, joined students Tuesday evening to discuss the impacts of Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court and emphasize the importance of engaging in the political process.

Hosted by Planned Parenthood and the Student Alliance for Reproductive Justice (SARJ), the event focused on Kavanaugh’s nomination process as well as conversation on how to best navigate his tenure on the bench.

“It was very distressing to see a sexual assault survivor be so dismissed and belittled. The thing I think it demonstrated to me was there was a white woman who had every privilege and she still wasn’t believed. It kind of left you feeling, if she isn’t believed who is going to believe me,” Taylor said in reference to sexual assault victims.

Taylor reflected on her time as a UW-Madison law student in the ‘90s mentioning her reaction to the Anita Hill hearings at the time. Taylor commented on the powers at play she believes controls much of the political process.

“This established power structure does not give in easily. It is going to fight tooth and nail to preserve its power. We saw the same white men who were the same people during Anita Hill, and we saw the power structure. Kavanaugh is part of that power structure,” Taylor said.

Taylor noted an increase of energized women at community meetings and forums who have not participated in activism in the past as a ray of hope.

“I’m heartened because watching that horrible spectacle, I think the message that has been driven home to some women, and some men for that matter, is that nobody is going to protect our rights but us,” Taylor said.

Lastly, Taylor stressed the importance of voting from young people and people of color.

“If we can increase turnout by a few percentage points, you all will determine who is the next governor and if Tammy Baldwin gets re-elected to the Senate,” Taylor said.