Cephus argues that the simultaneous criminal and Title IX investigations into sexual assault charges made against him violated his rights.

Cephus’ lawyers file motion to dismiss sexual assault charge

Suspended Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus’s lawyers filed a motion Wednesday to dismiss one of the sexual assault charges against him. They claimed to have proof showing the two accusers were not impaired by alcohol on the night in question.

Cephus is currently facing charges of third-degree sexual assault and second-degree sexual assault of an intoxicated victim. He made his initial court appearance Thursday morning.

Court Commissioner Brian Asmus approved the district attorney’s request of a $5,000 signature bond for Cephus and ordered him not to contact or release the identities of the victims.

Cephus’s lawyers also filed a motion challenging facts in the criminal complaint against him that they believe will establish his innocence.

“Quintez is innocent,” Kathleen Stilling, one of Cephus’s attorneys, said. “We want all the facts to come out to establish the truth. This criminal complaint is a slanted, one-sided version of the events.”

Jamie Dickey, who coached Cephus’s high school football team in Macon, Georgia, was also present.

“He’s a great young man,” Dickey said. “I’m confident that he will be exonerated, and he will be owed an apology be the time this is all said and done.”

A preliminary hearing for the case is scheduled for September 6.