Members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity have denied rumors that they threw trash into Lake Mendota.

UW-Madison fraternity under fire for allegedly throwing trash into Lake Mendota on Earth Day

A Facebook post allegedly showing members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity throwing objects into Lake Mendota sparked backlash Sunday night.

The video, shared by junior Laurel Noack, showed someone throwing objects into Lake Mendota from the back lawn of the SAE Fraternity.

“Sigma Alpha Epsilon — Wisconsin Alpha can you not pollute on Earth Day? Did you even try?” Noack, who posted pictures of garbage she found in Lake Mendota, said in the post.

Noack encouraged her Facebook friends to email the UW-Madison Interfraternity Council to express their anger.

Jack Barczak, president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, responded to Noack’s post in a comment. Barczak said one of the members of SAE was feeding the ducks who were passing by the house.

“Our chapter has no intention of polluting Lake Mendota, as its preservation is very important to us as well,” Barczak said.

UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone said the incident is under investigation.