A number of physical altercations occurred near campus over the weekend, including a fight at Bassett Street Brunch Club and a substantial battery on N.

Arguments escalate to violence as police respond to multiple battery incidents over the weekend

A number of physical altercations occurred near campus over the weekend, including a fight at Bassett Street Brunch Club and a substantial battery on N. Lake Street.

Early Friday morning, police responded to a call regarding a significant battery incident on N. Lake Street, identifying a 23-year-old man as the suspect and a 24-year-old man as the victim. The suspect reportedly punched the victim, resulting in several broken teeth. Police were not able to apprehend the suspect at the time.

The next morning, police were called to Bassett Street Brunch Club, where a fight had broken out between a 26-year-old woman and a 35-year-old man who were identified as dating. Witnesses at the restaurant reported that an argument between the two escalated into a violent confrontation, with the female suspect punching the victim and later throwing a glass mug at his face, which missed. The suspect was taken to jail on charges of battery, disorderly conduct and a probation hold.

Early Sunday morning, witnesses reported shots fired at Reynolds Park near the intersection of E. Dayton Street and N. Paterson Street. Witnesses told police that a woman at the location pulled out a gun and fired two shots at a man with whom she was in an argument with. Both individuals involved fled the scene before police arrived.