Business school dean Massey resigns after one semester

Business school may eliminate full-time MBA

In a change sure to send shockwaves through the college, the Wisconsin School of Business may eliminate its full-time Master of Business Administration program if a proposal from its administration is accepted.

A spokesperson for the business school would only say the school is “considering the future of the Full-Time MBA,” but multiple sources inside the school said students and faculty have been told the program could come to an end after this year.

Faculty will vote on whether to eliminate the full-time MBA in early November, a business school employee told The Daily Cardinal. Students were notified of the proposal in an email, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

“WSB remains committed to all of you currently enrolled within the full-time M.B.A. program,” Don Hausch, associate dean for the M.B.A. programs, wrote in the email. Anne Massey, dean of the school, will hold a town hall next week to hear students’ thoughts on the proposal.

The proposal comes a few months after a fellow Big Ten school, the University of Iowa, announced it was ending its full-time MBA program. Other schools have also considered eliminating their programs, which some see as a symptom of declining student interest in two-year MBA programs outside the top tier of schools.

Roughly 100 students have entered the full-time MBA program at UW-Madison in each of the past few years. If faculty does vote to end the program, the school is expected to focus its energy on its part-time program and shorter-term, more specialized degree programs.