An incident on North Frances Street resulted in a man being knocked unconscious Tuesday morning.

UW-Madison student injured in hit-and-run incident

A UW-Madison student suffered “significant injuries” in a hit-and-run Friday morning, according to the Madison Police Department.

The 20-year-old student was struck by a white Mazda while crossing East Johnson Street at North Pinckney Street just before 11 a.m., according to MPD Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain.

“The car struck the student, did not stop, and kept heading outbound on E. Johnson St. It turned onto one-way N. Franklin St. going in the wrong direction,” DeSpain wrote in an incident report. “The Mazda 3 next struck a parked car, causing significant damage, and—once again—did not stop.”

After being spotted by numerous surveillance cameras, the car was found on Madison’s East Side, and 21-year-old Madison resident Mustafa M. Al Taie was arrested hours after the incident.

Taie was tentatively charged with failure to render aid and is being held at the Dane County jail. The investigation is ongoing and further charges may be forthcoming, according to an update by MPD Sgt. Joseph Engler.