The Red Gym is now home to the Black Cultural Center after it's grand opening this Wednesday

A year after #TheRealUW, campus opens Black Cultural Center

Answering the year-old demands of #TheRealUW movement to provide a hub for UW-Madison’s black community, the university opened the Black Cultural Center Wednesday in the Red Gym.

The center is holding a day of activities celebrating the contributions of black culture to the Wisconsin Experience as part of the center’s grand opening.

Although UW-Madison previously had a center for black students, it was eventually consolidated into the current Multicultural Student Center. BCC members say the need for this new space stems from the recent acts of racism that have occurred on campus.

“Over the past year or two, there have been some very egregious racial incidents on campus,” BCC committee member Jacquie Forbes said. “I think because of that, [the university] was prompted to think about ways that we can create space for black students—who were the target of the attacks—on campus.”

Forbes emphasized that the BCC’s goal is to bring students, student organizations and the Madison community together to address the continuing problem of racism.

“I hope that this serves as a catalyzing space to bring events, people and organizations together that address issues that impact black students, black alumni and black members of the larger Madison community in ways that make us think about how racism continues to affect us and how we can organize to resist against it,” Forbes said.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam said the center not only honors the accomplishments of black people, but also serves as a valuable resource for the university.

"The new Black Cultural Center celebrates the many accomplishments and contributions of black students, faculty and staff—which were often achieved despite considerable obstacles,” Berquam said in a statement. “It will be a valuable resource going forward for the entire campus community. I want to thank everyone who worked so hard to bring this center to life."

The center is open to all students.