Tuesday, March 19, 2024
From Left: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner discuss the behind-the-scenes details of "Game of Thrones."

SXSW 2017: Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner talk 'Game of Thrones' with creators

“Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss made first-time appearances at SXSW this week to discuss their popular show. They were joined on stage by “GoT” stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, who play Arya and Sansa Stark, respectively. The two women served as moderators for the talk, asking Benioff and Weiss several behind-the-scenes questions regarding the show.

“Game of Thrones” has garnered a massive fan base in its six seasons thus far, so the ballroom was expectedly packed to listen to the talk. It’s clear that over that time the showrunners and cast have become incredibly close. Williams and Turner act like sisters in real life as much as they do on screen, discussing their audition processes and immediate chemistry with one another.

They also referred to Benioff and Weiss as their “fun uncles,” unafraid to poke fun at them. In one of their questions, Williams said, “The show’s demographic skews considerably younger than that of the average HBO show. How is that possible considering you’re both so f---ing old?” To a laughing audience, the showrunners said it’s because they were extremely immature.

Williams also asked the creators which house they most identified with on the show. She and Turner, both of whom play characters from House Stark, casually leaned back in their chairs, giving Benioff and Weiss pointed, comedic looks. They said the Starks felt like the obvious choice, answering with the Lannisters instead.

“What, you don’t want to be too mainstream?” Turner asked.

Unfortunately for fans gearing up for season 7, no new footage was shown, and spoilers were kept to a minimum. They did comment that Ed Sheeran would make a cameo appearance, following the show’s trend of including musicians as extras in some of the episodes. “Game of Thrones” is set to return in July.