UW administration, police department oppose campus carry legislation

UW-Madison students, faculty and staff are already beginning to protest campus carry legislation that seeks to allow concealed weapon in university buildings and will reportedly be re-introduced in January.

University administration and the UW-Madison Police Department said Wednesday they will also oppose the bill, which they did when it was first introduced in 2015.

In 2015, every UW System police chief signed a letter addressed to Rep. Jesse Kremer, R-Kewaskum, who introduced the legislation.

“Our colleges do not need more guns,” the letter said. “Guns do not belong in our classrooms, student centers, laboratories, workout facilities, locker rooms, offices, residence halls or athletic venues.”

UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said they stand with their original position. If the legislation is introduced the department will “take action and strongly oppose the bill.”

UW-Madison put metal detectors at entrances of the Kohl Center earlier this fall to keep weapons out of the space. According to university officials, the university plans on adding detector to other venues in the future.

“Campuses have so many unique safety challenges,” Chancellor Rebecca Blank said in a university release. “Adding concealed weapons to the many challenges our police department has to deal with would put everyone at risk. We remain absolutely opposed to any changes that would weaken the current prohibition on concealed weapons in campus buildings.”