Campus News

Alec Shiva preliminary hearing date set for late December

Suspended UW-Madison freshman Alec Shiva, who was arrested in November for second-degree sexual assault, will appear in court for a preliminary hearing Dec. 27.

Image By: Courtesy of Dane County Jail

Suspended UW-Madison freshman Alec Shiva has been scheduled for a Dec. 27 preliminary hearing.

Shiva was arrested by UW-Madison Police Department officers Nov. 10 for second-degree sexual assault of a female UW-Madison student in his dorm room in Sellery Residence Hall. He was high on LSD during the attack and damaged university-owned property in the room after choking and attacking the victim.

He was released from the Dane County Jail Nov. 14 on a signature bond under the condition that he report to the Dane County Bail Monitoring Program.

The official criminal complaint lists one count of each of the following: second-degree sexual assault, strangulation and suffocation, false imprisonment, battery, criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct.

According to UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone, Shiva was placed under emergency suspension from the university following the attack and remains under that restriction.

“[The student] is not allowed to be on campus or to take part in university activities,” McGlone said. “We continue to monitor the criminal proceedings.”