Blank talks biennial budget, campus climate at Student Council meeting

The biennual budget and campus climate are concerns for many students, and Chancellor Rebecca Blank addressed university administration’s efforts on these issues at Wednesday's Associated Students of Madison Student Council meeting.

For the past five of six biennial budgets, the Wisconsin state Legislature has cut funding to the UW System.

“Every year we don't reinvest is a year we fall behind,” Blank said.

The UW System is sponsoring a statewide campaign using the phrase, “It’s time to reinvest in the University of Wisconsin” to gain support for increased higher education funding this session.

Blank said she thinks the funding increase requested by the Board of Regents is “reasonable,” of which approximately 30 percent is expected to be allocated to UW-Madison. Over the past few years faculty, staff, class offerings and building upkeep have suffered due to the decrease in funding, Blank said.

Additionally, the previous biennial budget included no money for building maintenance. Blank explained that if a steam pipe breaks, or other maintenance issues arise, it takes money away from education to fix that.

Blank also addressed campus climate, specifically the new Our Wisconsin program.

“Lori [Berquam] and I are both extremely committed to this program,” Blank said, adding that after getting survey feedback she hopes to tweak the program and eventually offer it to all incoming freshmen.

“Talking about diversity, learning to work and live with a group of people with different experiences and backgrounds is not just a nice thing to do because we’re all pleasant people,” Blank said. “It is an absolutely mandatory thing that everyone needs to learn in order to be educated for the 21st century.”

She added that employers have shared concerns about Wisconsin students’ exposure to diversity. Some have questioned if graduates have the necessary tools needed to work at global companies.

“You can only do so much if you're going to do it well,” said Blank of the current objectives to improve inclusion on campus. “I'm going to try to pick a set of high impact things and do them well and then look around and say, ‘What’s next?’”