Bo Ryan

Bo Ryan, who retired last winter, remains in the public eye as the legal process around his sex scandal continues. 

Bo Ryan sex scandal will not go away anytime soon

The Bo Ryan sex scandal appears to be just beginning after a notice of claim was filed with the Attorney General on behalf of Robin Van Ert, a massage therapist who Ryan admitted to having extramarital affairs with after his abrupt resignation from the Wisconsin Basketball program last December.

The notice of claim is step one in the tedious process of bringing about a lawsuit against the University of Wisconsin for their handling of the investigation surrounding Ryan and Van Ert. The grounds for the claim, which specifically names influential figures such as Chancellor Rebecca Blank and Athletic Director Barry Alvarez, are based on the allegation that a university spokesperson inappropriately released Van Ert's name and email address to a reporter, ultimately leading to the ruin of her professional career as a massage therapist.

If the claim is upheld, Van Ert could be entitled to reparations in state court from UW for negligence and invasion of privacy. She could also potentially receive an additional federal settlement for infringements on her right to due process.

In the claim Van Ert also sets her sights on the motive of the investigation, claiming, “The 'investigation' was not thorough or conducted in good faith."

Van Ert added that she “repeated her concerns that Mr. Ryan mistreats women and is not a good role model.”

Based on the contradictory accounts from Van Ert and the University of Wisconsin involving the affair and the manner of the investigation, it is safe to say the public has not heard the last of this saga.