By Riley Beggin

Daily Cardinal
News

Tales of true traumatic travels

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of traveling a good ten hours back and forth from Madison to Minneapolis. Although I got off these trips relatively scot-free, that has certainly not been the case for most of my travels. 

Daily Cardinal
News

'Thank you, Based God." Riley reviews a Monday melee of music

Passing by the historic doors of The Majestic Theatre, one would not have guessed the venue was temporarily turned into a place of worship last night. The visiting deity was Lil’ B, known by his avid followers as The Based God. Needless to say, there were a lot of hands raised to the heavens and pressed together in prayer (an interesting juxtaposition against the actual definition of “BASED”).

News

Minnesota kicks off the summer festival circuit with a whirlwind day at Soundset

I’m beginning to think that I cannot attend a music festival unless it is blisteringly hot outside. After the infamous heat of Tennessee, Austin and California where other popular festivals are held, I was looking forward to the hip-hop festival in the cool, early-summer weather of my Minnesotan homeland. However, the scorching heat present at this years’ Soundset festival wasn’t enough to stop the Rhymesayers crew from continuing their tradition last Sunday, May 27 on the plains of Shakopee, MN, with the help of nearly 20,000 avid fans.

ARTS

And you thought you had roommate drama

Were you one of the lucky seniors in high school that looked at their future Badger roommate on Facebook and shuddered with fear at what lay ahead? Or, better yet, did you arrive on campus, fresh-faced and ready to begin drinking (ahem, studying), only to realize that your dorm life was going to be a living hell? Enter, “The Female Odd Couple,” a comedic production that speaks to the hearts and minds of anyone who has ever had a bad roommate.

Daily Cardinal
News

Madison host to Second City Saturday evening

The Second City, a premier comedy troupe based in Chicago, is a verified comedian-machine.  With the likes of Bill Murray, Tina Fey, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, John Belushi and Mike Myers as alumni, their tendency to produce top-of-the-line comedians is undeniable. On March 24, the current members of Second City took the stage at the Overture Center with their Laugh Out Loud tour, and gave audiences a glimpse into the future of comedy.

News

There's a reason for cheer this December

I adore the holiday season. Christmas music, sparkly lights, a general air of happiness, delicious sugar-ridden treats that induce that yearly 3-to-5-pound weight gain over the course of a month-yes, fond memories. However, I can't help but be a little alarmed by the holiday-themed marketing campaigns creeping in well before Thanksgiving.

More articles »