by Michael Brost

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Immigration crucial for America

“Give me your wealthy, your well-educated and your well-connected,” reads the inscription at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty. Okay—I made that up. But one could be forgiven thinking that, given the country’s current political discourse on immigration reform. The real inscription on Lady Liberty reads, in part, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.” That creed—part of Emma Lazarus’s poem “The New Colossus”—greeted more than 12 million immigrants who passed through Ellis Island on their way to a new life in America.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Obama's first term brought change, success

A recurring theme of former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s presidential election campaign is that President Barack Obama has failed to deliver the change that he promised in 2008, or that the president has simply delivered the wrong kind of change. The problem with Romney’s claim isn’t that it is cynical and disingenuous. It is wrong. Today America looks fundamentally different than it did when Obama took office in January 2008. And the changes are mostly for the better.  

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

NCAA Athletes should be paid their due

Last year, Joe Nocera—an  opinion columnist for the New York Times—wrote an enlightening series of articles on the extractive practices and rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, of which the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a member.  

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Chinese economic liberalization has not gone far enough

Since the economic liberalization policies of Paramount Leader Deng Xiaoping beginning in 1978, China has experienced a tenfold increase in its economic output. In 2010, amid a global recession, China experienced a real growth rate of 10 percent and became the world’s largest exporter. What’s more, investment accounts for 45 percent of China’s Gross Domestic Product—roughly four times America’s investment as a percentage of GDP.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

President Obama impresses in Milwaukee

This past weekend I returned to my hometown, Milwaukee, Wis., to cross an item off my bucket list that’s been there since 2008: Watching President Barack Obama, the first African-American president and one of the best campaigners in recent history, speak in person.  

More articles »