By Jeremy Gartzke

Daily Cardinal
COLUMNS

Remembering music legends past

The music world lost a great man this past weekend, as Adam “MCA” Yauch of the Beastie Boys passed away from cancer. I won’t claim to be a huge fan of the Beastie Boys, I honestly only know a few songs well, but Yauch is part of a generation that has influenced pop culture for 25 years, and his contributions deserve acknowledgement.

COLUMNS

Record Store Day 2012 highlights B-side singles

Record Store Day always reminds me of my love for physical media, and this year was no exception. One of the best parts about the event is all of the singles that would otherwise not be released. Be it the Warner’s “Side by Side” series or a heart-shaped Neon Trees single. All of the songs are classics and most feature my favorite part of the single: the B-side.

Daily Cardinal
COLUMNS

Winter Sounds give us chills

The longer a band takes to set up and the more instruments they have the more pretentious and difficult to relate to they will be. At least, this was what I thought before Friday night. Der Rath has hosted some interesting bands, but none that have roped me in as much as the Winter Sounds.

Daily Cardinal
COLUMNS

Wherefore art thou, drummer boy?

Every once in a while it is required that a columnist takes out a personal frustration in print, for everyone to see and comment on. Once a week usually does it. So what has me pulling my hair out this week?

The Living Statues
COLUMNS

Never fear, rock 'n' roll isn't dead yet

Bitching about the current state of the music industry has been cool ever since punk-rock broke through in the mid-1970s, probably even before then, but it hit the mainstream with CBGB's and the Ramones. I even used to be one of those people, and I guess I still am a little, but when really looking at it, the music industry is almost in better shape now than it has been in the last ten years.

More articles »