By Ethan Safran

Daily Cardinal
SCIENCE

Sustainability is becoming a more prominent theme for UW Housing

When I decided to write about UW’s Housing sustainability projects, I didn’t expect to get a two for one during my interview, but indeed that is what I got. The program manager for sustainability is a brand new position in the housing department, acting as a testament to the importance of sustainability on this campus, and Laura Shere is the first person to hold this esteemed title.

Daily Cardinal
News

The ‘Silver Lining’ in a year of great films

Writer-director David O. Russell is on a roll. His 2010 film “The Fighter” showcased some excellent acting, with Christian Bale and Melissa Leo taking home some awards hardware for their efforts. His previous films, including “I Heart Huckabees” and “Three Kings,” were but a preview of his now cemented talents.

News

Affleck shows off direction chops in 'Argo'

With “Argo,” Ben Affleck has forever demonstrated that he is an extremely skilled director. His acting roles in “Armageddon,” “Pearl Harbor,” “Daredevil” and “Paycheck,” the roles that helped to make him a movie star, appear so far removed from his career these past few years that it seems impossible that these two Afflecks are the same person.

News

Film full of 'Unforgivable' mistakes

French director André Téchiné’s 2011 film “Unforgivable,” which premiered in the Directors’ Fortnight selection of last year’s Cannes Film Festival, strives to show life’s jagged edges but is ultimately weighed down by the filmmakers’ inability to fully flesh out characters and story. It is a film that gets better as it goes along, yet its superficialities still hinder it from reaching its full potential.

More articles »