Mount_Horeb-1.jpg
Parents sit in the field at the Life Church on May 1, 2024 in Mount Horeb, Wis.

Families reunify with students after Mount Horeb active shooter threat shot, killed by police

Content warning: This article contains sensitive information.

MOUNT HOREB — An active shooter threat at Mount Horeb Middle School has ended without student fatalities after police shot and killed a suspect who had failed to breach the building. 

The Mount Horeb School District, located approximately 20 miles west of Madison, went on “full lockdown” Wednesday morning after reports emerged that an active shooter was attempting to breach the school’s entryway.

The suspect, who has not been identified, was a 14-year old student in the Mount Horeb School District, according to police. He was “neutralized” before he entered the building, the district said.

Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul told reporters Wednesday the suspect was the only one harmed and an investigation was ongoing.

“This incident took place outdoors. The subject in this case never gained entry,” he said. 

According to the Associated Press, Kaul declined to answer questions about the type of weapon the student possessed or what happened after police responded.

Wednesday evening’s media conference capped a stressful, tense day for students and community members. Parents had to wait to reunite with their children, who were told to remain in the building while the police conducted an investigation that continued for hours after the shooter was neutralized. 

First responders determined when students could leave, and officials said reunification would “take time and be done in stages.” Parents with children grades K-2 in Early Literacy and Primary Centers were dismissed from the building at separate doors beginning at 5 p.m., the district said in a post

Officials had first asked intermediate center parents to report to either Life Church or Good News Lutheran Church after initially saying a reunification site would be a bus garage at 421 W. Garfield St.

Kaul said the reunification was still ongoing Wednesday night.

Families waited to see their kids at local church

At Life Church, families were sprawled out on the grass and along the church driveway for hours waiting to reunite with their children. A line of parked cars snaked down the driveway and spilled onto the road, and parents were on their phones as they waited for more information.

Mount_Horeb-3.jpg

A line of cars sit parked outside the Life Church on May 1, 2024 in Madison, Wis.

Chuck Moore, principal of Mount Horeb Christian School at Life Church, said he was “happy to serve” as a reunification center. 

Moore said he had limited communication with the district but imagined they were “working very, very hard to figure things out.”

“It’s sad that our culture has devolved to the place where kids have to be in fear at school,” he said. “I was excited to hear they were unable to gain access to the Mount Horeb facility, and I think that’s one of our goals for schools, to keep people that are dangerous out.”

As families waited at the church, Aurora Powers fought her anxiety and called the local Pizza Hut location in Mount Horeb. 

Powers, a parent, said she asked the manager if there was something they could do to help, and the store agreed to donate free pizzas to the crowd at Life Church. She said a slice would be available for kids when they stepped off the bus. 

“I just saw a need. I knew none of the kids had eaten since this whole thing happened, and parents, and cops… everyone needs some fuel here,” Powers said. “They were very receptive, they gave me a call back really quickly and said, ‘How many do you need? We can’t do as many as you said, but we can do as much as we can.’”

Mount_Horeb-2.jpg

Aurora Powers, who worked with Pizza Hut to bring free pizzas for those at the Life Church, poses for a photo on May 1, 2024 in Mount Horeb, Wis.

Elected officials offer support

Local and state officials offered support to students, staff and first responders in statements Wednesday.

“Moments like this turn lives upside down, cause trauma, sorrow, and a moment of reflection for all of us. To the young people, their families and educators, no words can say enough of how much we as a community are here for you and grieve with you,” Dane County Executive Joe Parisi said in a statement. “We are here for you and will continue to be. To our first responders, thank you for once again stepping forward to help in another moment of critical need.”

Gov. Tony Evers said in a tweet Wednesday afternoon he was “briefed on the incident” and is “closely monitoring” the situation.

“I am praying for the health and safety of our kids, educators, and staff and grateful for the first responders who are working quickly to respond,” Evers said.

Powers, a former teacher who said she left the field two years ago after the Uvalde school shooting took place, said she wanted leaders to know “all of this is just a byproduct of people needing better mental health and better programs to get help.”

She “absolutely” believed something like this could happen in Mount Horeb. In her view, Wednesday’s incident boiled down to “mental health and systemic problems that need to get fixed.” 

“Frankly, I think they already know the issues,” Powers said. “Even if [they] themselves as individuals are fighting for those changes to better protect civilians and society in general, it boils down to coming down from the top. The whole system has to be [reevaluated]. Truly put focus on students’ health in all ways, not money.”

Mount Horeb Area School District Superintendent Steve Salerno said Mount Horeb School District schools will be open Thursday to students and staff that need support. Salerno said the district was aiming to reopen schools on Friday, but no decision had been made yet.

"This could have been a far worse tragedy," Salerno said. "We're beyond grateful for the community's support of our beautiful children and our loving staff."

Student support and community resources are available via University Health Services’ crisis line at (608) 265-5600, option 9.

Editor's note: This story was last updated at 11:32 p.m.

Gavin Escott

Gavin Escott is the Campus News Editor for the Daily Cardinal. Throughout his time at the Cardinal, he's covered protests, breaking news, and written in-depth features on Wisconsin politics and higher education. He is the former producer of the Cardinal Call podcast. Follow him on Twitter at @gav_escott.

Tyler Katzenberger

Tyler Katzenberger is the managing editor at The Daily Cardinal. As a former state news editor, he covered numerous protests and wrote state politics, healthcare, business and in-depth stories. Follow him on Twitter at @TylerKatzen.