Badgers men’s track and field sends athletes near and far in a productive weekend

The Wisconsin Badgers men’s track and field team competed in a handful of meets as the outdoor season continues.

Keeping up with the Wisconsin Badgers men’s track and field team was a challenge this past week as they traveled to meets within driving distance, across the country and even overseas. 

Badger throwers were the first to compete Wednesday at the Cal State LA Twilight Open in Los Angeles, where the team dominated. Three Badgers placed in the top 10 for the hammer throw, and Jacob Zednik took second in the javelin throw with a personal-best 60.91 meters.

The throwers posted more solid results on Friday at the Beach Invitational in Long Beach, California. The throwers were not alone in action, though, as Badgers also competed in three other meets Friday.

One group of Badgers competed in Azusa, California at the Bryan Clay Invitational. The outdoor debut of all-American Abdullahi Hassan, three-time Big Ten cross country champ Bob Liking and Quinn Lansill headlined this group. 

Hassan competed in the 800 meters against a strong field in his first outdoor race of the season. He put up a time of 1:47.96, good for 13th place. 

Liking also competed in a strong field of runners in the 5000 meters. He raced his way into the top five by running a personal best 13:19.19 and placing fifth.

Lansill, by competing in the decathlon, was present in a handful of events both running and in the field. By winning a few events and notching top-five finishes in others, Lansill accumulated a score of 7,059 decathlon points andplaced first overall in the event.

The last of the California meets was the Cerritos Invitational in Norwalk, California. Just four Badgers competed at the meet, but the results were positive.

Jalen Williams and Elliot Harris went first and second in the 400 meters, Gio Wearing won the 110-meter hurdles, and Justin Kiefel placed second in long jump.

In a meet much closer to Madison, a few distance runners competed at the UW-Platteville Invitational. On Friday, Liam Newhart won the 5000 meters and Sam Craig placed fifth. The team went first, second and third in the 1500 meters Saturday, with Max Hartke, Pierce Seigne and Logan Measner all running personal bests. 

Meanwhile, Adam Spencer and Jackson Sharp competed overseas in Adelaide, Australia over the weekend.

On Saturday, Spencer used a strong finish to edge out former Badger Oliver Hoare to win the 1500 meters at the Australian National Championships with a time of 3:37.68.

Sharp concluded the weekend for the team on Sunday in the 5000 meters at the Australian Athletics Championship. He placed third with a time of 13:39.82, just behind former Badger Morgan McDonald.

The team will be in action once again this upcoming week with the Mt. SAC Relays in Los Angeles on  April 18-20 and the Wake Forest Invite on April 19.