Peach Pit rocks Shannon Hall

WUD Music brought the Canadian indie band to Memorial Union with free entry for students.

Indie pop sensation Peach Pit brought the house down Friday at Memorial Union’s Shannon Hall with their catchy tunes and energetic stage presence. 

Local post-punk band Interlay opened the event with a raucous performance that incited a spirited mosh pit. Going from such a grungy emo sound to the bubblegum pop vibe of Peach Pit made the night even more fun. 

Peach Pit was met with deafening cheers upon entering the stage. They opened with “Being So Normal” off their hit album by the same name. 

The band, native to Vancouver, was complimentary to Madison and said they were happy they could fill venues like Shannon Hall and visit cool towns like Madison. 

Some standout tracks were “Techno Show,” “Black Licorice” and “Drop The Guillotine.” These songs were clearly crowd favorites and received excited applause after playing only the first chord. 

Lead guitarist Christopher Vanderkooy gave a spirited performance. He played incredible solos on practically every song with immeasurable talent and had a contagious stage presence. 

Lead singer Neil Smith also delivered an amazing performance. It was such a pleasure to watch him whip his hair in circles and do silly little dances on stage. Smith also has a beautiful voice, one that arguably sounds even better live. 

Also of note were bassist Peter Wilton, drummer Mikey Pascuzzi and multi-instrumentalist Dougal McLean. Watching McLean shred on the violin during “Private Presley'' was truly a treat. 

Crowd members clasped arms with their neighbors and swayed back-and-forth to “Tommy’s Party,” a melancholic indie masterpiece. The band closed their set with this iconic track but soon returned for an encore after boisterous chants of “one more song!”

Peach Pit ended the night with “Hot Knifer,” “Chagu’s Sideturn” and “Shampoo Bottles.” “Hot Knifer” perfectly highlighted Smith’s soulful vocals, while “Shampoo Bottles'' left the audience in a standing ovation, especially after Vanderkooy leapt into the pit for a victorious crowd surf. 

The Wisconsin Union Directorate hosted a great night for indie music lovers. Hopefully they continue to book big-names like Peach Pit and provide free entertainment like Friday’s.