Zoe Kukla Phone Social Media.jpg

Living with influence: Why social media needs more empathy

Killian Weston’s insight into the complex realities of a large social media following.

Navigating social media is inherently challenging, and having an online following adds an extra layer of complexity. But Killian Weston, a University of Wisconsin-Madison freshman and content creator, has deep experience managing a large online audience. 

Weston is predominantly known for his presence on TikTok @_killianweston_, where he has amassed a following of over 275,000 users. He first went viral in high school but is best known for his college-centered content. His videos are funny and are generally well-received by both students at UW-Madison and his broader young adult audience. 

However, anyone with a large social media presence has people who don’t enjoy their content, and Weston is no exception to this. Comments like “You’re ruining UW-Madison” may seem outrageous to others, but the underlying sentiment behind those words is incredibly personalized for Weston. 

Given his close ties to UW-Madison, the emotions people attach to his videos — whether positive or negative — translate to the way he is treated on campus. 

“I have started to realize the connection between the social media presence and the real-life presence have very strong ties, especially with people who like to act out and lash out against me,” Weston said.

Weston was recently targeted because of his social media presence. He said he was drugged by someone he was familiar with while at a local spot with friends and was put in an incredibly dangerous situation as a result of his online following. Weston said he is ok after the attack, but the incident highlighted an example of the toll a large-scale social media following takes on overall well-being. 

An incident as extreme as the one Weston experienced is not an inevitable result of a large-scale social media presence. However, it does demonstrate how being in the public eye — particularly within a campus environment — can disrupt an individual's ability to maintain a sense of normalcy. 

Being in such close proximity to his fan base, Weston has the opportunity to interact with people who both idolize and hate him for his social media presence. However, Weston said the person in his TikTok videos isn’t precisely “him.” 

“The TikTok me isn’t actually me. I may be funny, try to be funny when I am myself, and I wouldn’t say the Tik Tok thing is a facade, either. I would differentially be a part of me but it's definitely more of a character,” Weston said.

Weston doesn’t always display the same demeanor as he does in his videos, and he said he has repeatedly been told he comes across as "nicer" in person than compared to his online persona.

Despite the toll social media takes on a creator's mental health, Weston said he felt fortunate to have the opportunity to create content that people enjoy. 

“I just want people to know that I am just a student guy that’s just trying to brighten peoples’ day and also build up a strong following and connection with people,” he said.

What’s more, Weston is a proud Badger and uses his platform to build connections with other notable figures at the school. He said he has close ties with the Bucky accounts, and he has been able to reach out to athletes on both the football and women’s volleyball teams.

Weston said he feels lucky that his audience is so heavily dominated by students at UW-Madison and worldwide. He said he likes being able to make his content relatable to other students in a way that makes them feel seen.   

“To have the TikTok thing to add on to me being a student here is something that is so important to me,” he said. “I have gotten to do such cool stuff that makes me so proud to be able to go to school here.”

Social media is often clogged with negativity. As fake as social media can feel, the impact it has on users' well-being is all too real. It invites warped perceptions of others, and this is true for individuals with platforms both big and small.

Weston reminds all of us of an important lesson: No matter how big or small an individual’s platform is, we need to recognize there is a person behind the screen.

Grace Winokur is a staff writer and a sophomore studying journalism and communication arts. Do you agree social media can have a negative effect on individuals offline? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com