Wisconsin Womens Basketball vs Purdue6833.JPG

Amid a turbulent season, Ronnie Porter leads by example

Throughout the Wisconsin Badgers women’s basketball season, Ronnie Porter stepped up and proved to be a key player on the roster.

In her sophomore season with the Wisconsin Badgers women’s basketball team, Ronnie Porter has taken on a new role. 

From St. Paul, Minnesota, Porter joined the Badgers as a walk-on in the 2022-23 season. 

Last season, the Badgers also picked up a veteran point guard in Avery LaBarbera, who fell into favor higher than Porter. In a smaller role with the team, Porter only averaged 6.8 minutes per game and 1.5 points per game in her first season.

While her impact was small, her effort and skill didn’t go unnoticed. Porter was one of five Division I walk-on athletes chosen for an NIL deal created by Degree and Giannis Antetokounmpo in March 2023.

With the loss of grad student LaBarbera, senior Julie Popisilova and Maty Wilke’s transfer this season, the Badgers needed another top scorer to compete alongside Serah Williams.

Porter averages the most minutes on the team this season with 34.8 per game — the second most in the Big Ten. Porter also averages 9.9 points per game with 5.7 rebounds and 2.1 steals.

She makes a huge impact each time she’s on the court, even while being the shortest player in Big Ten women’s basketball at 5-foot-4. Although her height may not be conventional, it hasn’t stopped her from putting in 100% each time she plays.

In only her sophomore season, Porter’s game has seen immense growth and will continue to blossom. Her quick speed and agility has helped the team to one of its best seasons yet.

Porter received a Big Ten Honorable Mention nod from the media this season, showing that her effort will never go unnoticed.

As head coach Marisa Moseley goes into her fourth year of coaching, it’s important for her to have consistent players like Porter she can count on.