Oscars 2024
The 88th Oscars, held on Sunday, February 28, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood. Courtesy of Walt Disney Television

A recap of the 2024 entertainment awards season

From the Golden Globes to the Primetime Emmys to the Academy Awards, this awards season has been marked by memorable and historic moments.

The season kicked off with the Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 7, honoring the best in cinema and television. While the red carpet may have missed the dynamic duo entrance of Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet, fans were thrilled when the two were spotted reuniting inside the venue, sharing a kiss from their seats during the ceremony. Chalamet, nominated for his role in the latest adaption of the beloved Roald Dahl story “Wonka,” showcased his signature style with a sparkly jacket. Jenner complemented his look with a stunning black dress featuring lace and sparkles. 

One standout of the evening was the victory of “Oppenheimer,” a compelling drama that won the esteemed title of Best Picture. Directed by filmmaker Christopher Nolan, the film captivated audiences with its meticulous attention to detail and powerful portrayal of the hectic life of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the brilliant physicist behind the development of the atomic bomb during World War II despite challenging circumstances. 

Meanwhile, Lily Gladstone made history by becoming the first indigenous actor to win Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama for her role in  “Killers of the Flower Moon.” She delivered a moving speech in the Blackfoot language. Her achievement was long awaited, given the taxing and controversial history of Native American representation in cinema. 

Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas O’Connell notably won the award for Best Song in a Motion Picture with “What Was I Made For?” from the film “Barbie.”

Following excitement at the Golden Globes, the 75th annual Primetime Emmy Awards took the stage on Jan. 15 to honor television’s admirable achievements. 

Quinta Brunson became the first Black woman in over 40 years to win Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for “Abbott Elementary,” and Ali Wong became the first Asian actress to win a lead acting Emmy for “Beef.” 

RuPaul’s milestone as the most awarded host in Emmys history, with eight consecutive wins, also highlighted the diversity of film talent celebrated on television. 

The Emmys came to a close with an emotional tribute. Charlie Puth, alongside artist duo The War and Treaty, performed the iconic Friends theme song, “I'll Be There for You” in honor of late actor Matthew Perry. 

Finally, the 96th Academy Awards took place on March 10 with comedian Jimmy Kimmel as host. Kimmel kept the crowd entertained, cracking jokes about Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie winning the genetic lottery and calling out Bradley Cooper for bringing his mom as a date for the second year in a row.

Robert Downey Jr.’s Best Supporting Actor win for his portrayal of Lewis Strauss in Oppenheimer was a standout moment at the Oscars. Downey expressed gratitude to his wife, crediting her for rescuing him like a pet and nurturing him back to life.  

Renowned for her exceptional talent and widespread popularity in the world of cinema, Emma Stone earned the esteemed Best Actress award for her engrossing performance in “Poor Things.”

“Poor Things” follows the story of a young woman named Bella Baxter, played by Stone, who is brought back to life by a mad scientist. Baxter’s resurrection comes with a twist: she is given the appearance of a beautiful woman and a new identity but has no memories of her previous life. 

Stone acknowledged the profound impact of teamwork in filmmaking in her acceptance speech. She expressed deep gratitude to her fellow cast members, crew and all those who contributed to the film’s powerful vision of self-discovery and liberation. 

Finally, Da’Vine Joy Randolph won Best Supporting Actress for her role in “The Holdovers.” She thanked her mother and reflected on her journey to success in an emotional tribute underscoring the power of perseverance and celebrating film’s transformative power.