Lily's 2023

Students congregate on Lake Mendota in February 2023.

Lily’s Classic must happen, but partying on thin ice isn’t the answer

Fundraising, partying and a boot hockey tournament at Lily’s Classic are in danger due to melting ice. Here are the changes needed to preserve one of UW-Madison’s biggest events.

Lake Mendota’s condition due to recent weather may require postponement, or even relocation of a longstanding UW-Madison tradition.

Lily’s Classic, hosted by Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE),  is a boot hockey tournament and philanthropic effort that benefits Lily’s Fund for Epilepsy Research. The annual event is a staple of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s spring semester and unites the community in an exciting and eventful occasion on a frozen Lake Mendota. 

However, rising temperatures in the past few weeks have made some activities on the lake unsafe, and many parts of Mendota have completely melted. Events typically held on the frozen lake are canceled every day, including Lodge’s Langdon Invitational hockey tournament. While the ice’s integrity relies on many factors, the seven inches of ice on Mendota would struggle to hold a massive crowd. 

It’s clear there is a sense of worry among students looking forward to the tournament as the days get warmer. 

“I’m pretty upset that Lily’s might not happen, especially since this would’ve been my first year seeing it,” said UW-Madison freshman Brendan Clifford. 

Lily’s has been a traditional way of kicking off the spring semester at UW-Madison since 2009, but the current state of Lake Mendota may require the members of SAE to look for other alternatives. Talk of postponement and even cancellation has spread across the student body.

The notion that an event so integral to student life at UW-Madison could be canceled has raised concerns around campus. 

“I saw videos of Lily’s on social media, and it really intrigued me about campus life here in Madison,” said UW-Madison freshman Tyler Scholz. “Lily’s and other events on the lake definitely played a role in my decision to apply here.” 

Distress at the thought of Lily’s Classic’s cancellation seems heightened among those who have attended it in the past.

“Lily’s was a great time, it was something I really looked forward to doing again this year,” said UW-Madison sophomore Carter Loui. “It’s a shame it’s not happening.”

Seeing as this event contributes so much to campus culture and student identity at UW-Madison, it seems obvious the best course of action is to postpone Lily’s Classic in the event that the lake is not safe enough to host the tournament. 

But canceling Lily’s Classic wouldn’t just affect some students looking to have fun out on the lake — it would deal significant monetary damage to much-needed research. 

Even more than its effects on campus, Lily’s Classic has made significant impacts on the fund the tournament was created for. Last year, the tournament raised over $20,000 for epilepsy research through their GoFundMe alone. This is no small feat, and donations like this are crucial for research and advancement in medical practices. 

It’s clear Lily’s holds a special place in the hearts of the brothers of SAE, and the current situation is not lost on them.

“There isn’t much we can do but hope for the best,” said Jamie Dolan, a member of SAE.

SAE has yet to release a statement regarding the tournament’s status, but as the date for Lily’s is right around the corner, it would be in SAE’s best interest to begin planning to host Lily’s on a future date. With weather forecasts up to next week still showing temperatures in the high 40s, it seems doubtful that conditions could change enough to allow for a completely frozen lake. 

While postponement is an option — and the most feasible one at that — members of SAE could also consider moving the tournament to Langdon, opting for street hockey if the lake doesn’t freeze over in the coming weeks. 

Lily’s Classic plays a major role in defining the culture of UW-Madison. But as something that students, members of the community and the Lily’s Fund for Epilepsy Research look forward to every year, it is crucial the event goes on. 

Paul O'Gorman is a freshman studying history. Do you agree Lily's Classic should be postponed due to the lake's condition? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com