Lily's 2023

Students congregate on Lake Mendota in February 2023.

Lily’s Classic canceled due to warm weather

Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity canceled its annual Lily’s Classic Fundraiser less than a week before the event was scheduled due to warm weather and thin ice on Lake Mendota.

SAE announced the decision to cancel the tournament in an Instagram post Sunday. The fundraiser was originally scheduled for Feb. 17.

“There will be something in place of the hockey tournament, but we’re just not sure what it looks like yet,” said Sean Nicgorski, SAE philanthropy chair. “Even though the event is canceled, we’re still raising money for the Lily's Fund as best as we can.”

As temperatures have remained above freezing throughout late January and early February, ice on Lake Mendota has been deemed “unsafe” by UW-Madison Student Affairs as well as university police. The Wisconsin Union canceled all on-ice activities for its UW Winter Carnival last week.

Although there is not enough ice on Lake Mendota for the event, SAE will “potentially” keep the hockey tournament component of Lily’s Classic, according to Nicgorski.

“There will be more information coming,” Nicgorski said.

Nicgorski also said the SAE Instagram account is not hacked, despite rumors spreading in the post’s comments.