Head coach of the UW-Madison club baseball team (above) released a petition online earlier this week calling on Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez to reinstate a varsity baseball team.

Bringing the diamond back: The case for baseball at UW-Madison

The time is now for Wisconsin to reinstate their baseball team.

As Big Ten baseball gears up to start the season this month, anticipation builds among teams and players, all eyeing the ultimate prize: a berth to Omaha for the College World Series, the zenith of college baseball.

However, out of the 14 schools in the Big Ten, there has been one program missing from the action year after year. 

The Badgers will now enter their 33rd year without a baseball team despite other strong Big Ten programs. Also, the addition of four schools from the PAC-12 will expand the Big Ten to include 17 schools with active baseball programs.

A compelling illustration of this issue is the story of Tristan Ellis, a freshman middle infielder for the University of Minnesota. Hailing from Greendale, Wisconsin, Ellis was one of the top infielders of his class in the state, dreaming of donning the cardinal and white of the Badgers.

Yet, the lack of a baseball program at UW-Madison compelled him to cross state lines and join a Big Ten rival, highlighting a missed opportunity for the university to harness local talent and bolster its athletic legacy.

“Being from Wisconsin, I would have loved to go play baseball there,” Ellis said. “I feel a lot of guys from Wisconsin would have gone there.” 

Ellis said having a comprehensive athletics program that includes baseball can enhance the university's reputation nationally. Success in athletics can increase the university's visibility, attract potential students and foster pride among alumni and supporters.

“I was a huge fan. I was raised in a Badger household. I still root for the Badgers,” Ellis said. 

UW-Madison had to cut the program in 1991 for financial reasons. In order to bring the program back, UW-Madison would need to add a women's sport in addition to baseball to keep in compliance with Title IX. Title IX exists to keep opportunities fair for both genders. This makes the situation require careful financial planning and a commitment to equal sports access, showing the complexity of reintroducing baseball within the constraints of law and budget.

Although the university does not have a Division One program, it does field two club teams with very strong talent on both teams. 

“Our club has always been successful, so that winning aspect helps a lot and makes playing for the program really fun,” said junior catcher Michael Savarin. 

Despite the success of the team, they receive very minimal funding and all equipment is self-owned, a very similar environment to a high school team. 

“It is definitely mainly a player-funded program. Most of the players bring their own gear, and we share bats a lot,” said freshman outfielder Nick Scott. 

Adding a baseball team could increase student and community engagement on campus. Baseball games provide a communal space for students, faculty, alumni and local residents to gather, support their team and strengthen their connection to the university.

“I would love to attend baseball games if we had a program,” said Nathan Kim, a UW-Madison freshman. “Back home, that is something my friends and I would love to do in the spring.”

The University of Michigan has one of the richest college baseball backgrounds in the country according to mgoblue.com, and consistently holds a spot in the top 25 nationally. Despite having such a strong program, freshman Jack Counsell, an infielder for Michigan, said Wisconsin having a baseball team could have changed things. 

“It definitely would have made the decision [on committing] much more difficult,” Counsell said. 

Bringing back baseball isn't just about reviving a sport; it's about rekindling a sense of pride and belonging within the UW-Madison community. By restoring the baseball program, the university can capture lost opportunities and ignite a renewed sense of community and pride.

It's time to join the rest of the Big Ten and reinstate baseball at UW-Madison.

Andrew Habas is a staff writer and a freshman studying business. Do you agree UW-Madison should bring back Division One baseball? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com