Badgers have big weekend at Windy City Invite

With many Badgers competing in both running and field events, the Wisconsin men’s track and field time had a productive weekend in Chicago.

The Wisconsin Badgers men's track and field team was in action once again Friday and Saturday to host the Windy City Invite at the Gately Indoor Track and Field Complex in Chicago.

Unlike the weekend prior in Albuquerque, the Badgers had strength in numbers in Chicago. Multiple Badgers competed in field, hurdles, sprints and distance events.

Giovanni Wearing and Sam Amusan competed first for the Badgers on Friday in the 60-meter dash prelims. The two finished neck and neck, with Amusan at 6.85 seconds and Wearing running a personal best 6.86 seconds.

Shortly after, junior Abdullahi Hassan stole the spotlight in the 800-meter invite. Hassan ran a personal best time of 1:46.61, which was good enough to hold off Villanova’s Sean Dolan for the first place finish.

With his time, Hassan placed himself atop Wisconsin’s all-time leaderboard in the 800 meters.

Hassan was not the only first-place Badger of the weekend. He was joined by two distance runners as winners of their respective events. 

Freshman Micah Wilson won Friday’s 5,000-meter race with a personal best time of 13:53.32. The following day, senior Jackson Sharp won the 3,000-meter invite with a time of 7:45.29, finishing just ahead of Badger junior Bob Liking, who ran a personal best 7:46.32.

In field events Saturday, another Badger claimed a top spot when Jason Swarens won the shot put, throwing 19.93 meters (65-4 ¾). Swarens also had a fourth place finish in the weight throw.

While Hassan’s school record and a dominant performance from the distance team headlined Wisconsin’s weekend, other Badgers had a productive meet with personal best times: Jalen Williams in the 200-meter, Joe dosReis and JJ Williams in the 800-meter, Bryce Stachewicz in the mile and Benjamin Nibbelink in the 3000-meter.

Meanwhile in New York, Wisconsin’s Adam Spencer competed Sunday at the prestigious Wanamaker Mile at the Millrose Games. Spencer ran a personal best 3:52.70, good enough for a sixth place finish at the event and a school record.

The Badgers will return to action this upcoming weekend in two different meets. On Friday, some Badgers will compete at the Solomon W. Butler Classic hosted by the University of Dubuque, and others will compete Saturday in the Alex Wilson Invite hosted by the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.