Relaxing image.jpeg
Courtesy of FREE-VECTORS.NET

Less is more: A lesson I took away from the week I stayed with my grandparents

Simplicity became a profound lesson during the week I spent with my grandparents in a small town just outside of Sacramento, California. 

While it’s not a typical go-to destination for leisure, the priority was to spend quality time with my grandparents, making it a worthwhile trade-off. The days were filled with moments of tranquility, lounging on the couch while my grandma immersed herself in her nook, my grandpa engaged in animated conversations with the TV during football broadcasts and the delightful aroma of home-cooked meals wafting from the crockpot. In the midst of this uncomplicated and comforting routine, I discovered that, sometimes, less truly is more.

As I immersed myself in the company of my grandparents, I closely observed their lifestyle. It became evident that, although they had only a small circle of friends, these connections were maintained over time. In the context of 2024, prioritizing quality over quantity in relationships became increasingly apparent to me. Surrounding yourself with healthy relationships and good habits is key, and  those simplicities hold a very profound significance.  

Reflecting on my time with my grandparents prompted me to ask: how I could integrate the essence of simplicity into my own life? 

I have a tendency to over-complicate my daily routine. The week I spent with my grandparents made me pause and redirect my focus toward appreciating the smaller, more meaningful aspects of life. 

Gaining a fresh outlook on life has significantly heightened my appreciation for the vast opportunities yet to be explored, prompting me to approach life one step at a time. In this newfound perspective, I've come to recognize the importance of consistency. 

Adhering to a daily routine has proven to be a cornerstone of maintaining mental well-being. Whether it involves savoring a cup of tea each morning, engaging in a daily workout regimen or immersing oneself in 10 pages of a beloved book before bedtime, the key lies in fostering consistency. This deliberate and steady approach to daily life serves as a stabilizing force, contributing to the preservation of one's mental equilibrium. 

“Having a routine is how you build habits,” Chyrell Beutell, an APRN at Northwestern Medicine, said in an article they published titled, ‘Health Benefits of Having a Routine’.

The acknowledgment that life unfolds gradually — and the understanding that consistency is instrumental in navigating its complexities — has become a guiding principle for me. It highlights the importance of including daily habits that match your likes when making a reliable routine. Knowing yourself is pivotal, and being consistent in a routine is equally indispensable for preserving your sanity. Or maybe that's just me.

The lesson of "less is more" learned from my grandparents extends beyond simplicity; it shows life is only as complex as you make it. I've come to recognize simple moments spent sitting on the couch, immersed in a good book and relaxing in comfortable attire are just as vital as any other activity in your day. 

As we start this semester, remember these seemingly ordinary moments serve as indispensable tools, and take moments to acknowledge their impact on your overall well-being.