_NZ63820.JPG

All-clear issued after suspicious package reported on Library Mall

A 10:22 a.m. WiscAlert urged students to avoid the Library Mall area as UWPD investigates a ‘suspicious package’ found there.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department (UWPD) issued an all-clear late Tuesday morning after urging residents to avoid Library Mall due to a “suspicious package” found there.

In a 10:22 a.m. WiscAlert, UWPD told students to avoid the 700 block of State Street after the package was found.

A large police presence formed around the area as of 10:50 a.m. Employees and students in buildings around the 700 block of State Street were evacuated, and an investigation into the package is still ongoing.

An additional WiscAlert was put out at 10:47 a.m. confirming an ongoing police investigation and that passersby should continue avoiding the area. 

A spokesperson for UWPD was not immediately available for comment.

An 11:16 a.m. WiscAlert said the block has "been deemed safe." UWPD said residents can resume normal activities.

This is a developing story.

Editor's Note: This article was updated at 11:19 a.m. to add that an all-clear was sent out by UWPD.

Liam Beran

Liam Beran is the Campus News Editor for The Daily Cardinal and a third-year English major. Throughout his time at the Cardinal, he's written articles for campus, state and in-depth news. Follow him on Twitter at @liampberan.