IMG_1783.jpg

Badgers cross country off to a hot start in NCAA postseason

Head coach Mike Byrne became the winningest coach in Big Ten championship history after the Badgers performed well in the start of their NCAA postseason.

The NCAA cross country postseason is underway, and the Wisconsin Badgers are off to a great start. 

The Badgers men’s team captured their sixth consecutive Big Ten title Friday, making head coach Mick Byrne the winningest coach in Big Ten cross country championship history. Along with his 13 conference titles, Byrne was also named Big Ten Men’s Cross Country coach of the year. 

The Badgers had a successful showing for both men and women in their third race at home on the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course. 

For the men, junior Bob Liking claimed his third straight Big Ten cross country individual championship with an 8K time of 23:57. Right behind him came Jackson Sharp (24:06) in second place, Evan Bishop (24:23) in fourth place and Adam Spencer (24:26) in fifth place. The front pack stayed together for a majority of the race until both Liking and Sharp made their move in the final 1K over Michigan’s front runner, Tom Brady.

The Badgers women placed second behind the Michigan State Spartans. Leane Wilemse fought her way to a convincing second place finish with a 6K time of 20:57, continuing her successful sophomore season. Right behind her in a steady pack came Alexa Westley in ninth place (21:25), Kylie Finger (21:46), Bella Jacobson (21:49) and Samantha Stieve (21:51). The team totaled 81 points, 35 points behind MSU. 

The Badgers will continue their postseason again at home on Nov. 10 during the NCAA Great Lakes Regional at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course. If they qualify, they’ll finish their season at the NCAA Championships in Charlottesville, Virginia on Nov. 18.