Wisconsin DNR Secretary Adam Payne to resign in November

After more than 24 years of public service, Payne will retire to spend more time with his elderly parents.

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Secretary Adam Payne will resign from his position Nov. 1, leaving the position vacant until the environment agency can find a new leader. 

In his resignation letter to Gov. Tony Evers, first reported by the Wisconsin Examiner, Payne called his resignation “bittersweet” and said he wanted to spend more time with his elderly parents after more than 24 years of public service. He previously served a two-decade stint as Sheboygan County administrator.  

According to the Examiner, Payne praised Evers for his “leadership and friendship” and expressed his appreciation for various administration actions, including “the historic investment in our state park system, the start of the clean-up and restoration of the Milwaukee Estuary and the development of a new wolf management plan.” 

The DNR continues to navigate final negotiations over a contentious wolf population management plan and a bill to address statewide PFAS contamination while searching for a new secretary.  

Payne, who took office earlier this year, also informed environmental groups of his resignation in a separate email that applauded the DNR for its strong leadership and passionate co-workers, according to the Examiner.

“Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do to protect and enhance our natural resources and help people and communities be safe and successful,” Payne said. “It was truly an honor to serve with you and be a part of doing such honorable work.”

Gavin Escott

Gavin Escott is a senior staff writer and photographer for multiple desks at The Daily Cardinal. Throughout his time at the Cardinal, he's written articles for city, state, campus and breaking news. He is the current host/producer of the Cardinal Call podcast. Follow him on Twitter at @gav_escott.