Universities of Wisconsin
Courtesy of Universities of Wisconsin

UW System renamed ‘Universities of Wisconsin’ with new logo

UW System President Jay Rothman announced the new name and identity for the UW System as campuses face budget cuts

The University of Wisconsin System is being rebranded to the “Universities of Wisconsin,” President Jay Rothman announced at UW-Eau Claire on Tuesday. 

The rebrand will cover the 13 universities it represents — including the University of Wisconsin-Madison — and will be accompanied by a new logo and trademark.

“Our new identity aims to broaden awareness of our universities across the state,” Rothman said in a press release. “We believe the Universities of Wisconsin identity is more relatable for students, families and employers.”

UW System administrators plan to start using the new name immediately, but the University of Wisconsin System will remain the name until the transition is finalized in early 2024.

Mark Pitsch, UW System spokesperson, told the Associated Press that while administrators will adopt the rebranding immediately, the name UW System will remain unchanged within the legal system. The universities have been collectively referred to as the UW System in state law, which can only be changed by legislators. 

The rebrand comes as Gov. Tony Evers issued a proclamation Monday to mark the week of Oct. 8-14 as “Universities of Wisconsin Week.” According to the UW System press release, Rothman will continue advocating with lawmakers of both parties to “advance” the Universities of Wisconsin.

The UW System is currently facing budget cuts after state Republican lawmakers sliced $32 million from the UW System’s 2023-25 budget in an effort to eliminate diversity, equity and inclusion programs. 

Although UW-Madison said it is equipped to absorb the cuts, other schools, such as UW-Oshkosh and UW-Green Bay, have announced employee layoffs as structural budget deficits grow.

The cost of the overall rebrand will be about $480,000, Pitsch told the Journal Sentinel.