Wisconsin Men's Soccer vs Milwaukee

Badgers come back to defeat in-state rival UW-Milwaukee in second-half thriller

The Badgers overcame a 0-1 deficit in the second half with two straight goals.

The Wisconsin Badgers men’s soccer team defeated the UW-Milwaukee Panthers 2-1 at home after the Badgers scored two straight second-half goals. 

Wisconsin came into this game with an overall record of 5-4-5 after a 1-0 shutout win against Big Ten rival Ohio State. After a week of road games at Rutgers and Ohio State, the Badgers finally returned home. 

The game started with a formula Wisconsin is accustomed to: a 0-0 first half with staunch defense on both sides. 

Scoring started in the 59th minute when Milwaukee’s Joshua Kidder tapped in a goal after a rebounded save from Wisconsin goalkeeper Nate Crockford. 

The Badgers scored their first goal in the 69th minute when Wisconsin’s Jack Finnegan received a mid-air pass from Thomas Raimbault and passed it right back to Raimbault for a goal, his third of the season. 

With the game tied at 1-1, Wisconsin scored their second goal of the game in the last two minutes when Badgers freshman Roman Eisa stole the ball from a Milwaukee defender after a bad pass from Milwaukee’s goalkeeper. 

Eisa booted it in with Milwaukee defenders draped around him for his first career goal. 

Eisa hasstarted the last six games for Wisconsin and shown he can pick apart opponents’ defensive lines for scoring opportunities. 

The Badgers move to 6-4-5 on the season with a two-game winning streak under their belt. Wisconsin will look to push their winning streak to three in their final regular season home game against Big Ten opponent Penn State on Oct. 29.