Wisconsin Women's Soccer

Junior Micaela Powers scored in the 81st minute to push the Badgers past Maryland and give them their second Big Ten title in school history.

Wisconsin women’s soccer falls to Michigan State at home in first Big Ten loss

Badgers came up short against Michigan State in their first Big Ten loss this season.

The Wisconsin Badgers (6-2-3) experienced their first Big Ten loss Sunday in a 1-0 defeat against the Michigan State Spartans (7-2-2).

Fans showed out for the Badgers on Sunday afternoon with the stands packed to the brim and several fans sitting on the grass hill overlooking the field. The sun beaming on the field set up perfect conditions for an aggressive match at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

The Spartans came out strong and were first on the board, scoring at the 11:00 minute mark to put the score at 1-0. While the Badgers fought hard for possession throughout the first half, the Spartans dominated most of the ball action. Wisconsin did make a strategic move after the first goal and switched to a more offensive-minded 3-5-2 formation. 

The Wisconsin girls kept pushing forward, and they came out strong in the second half. They locked down on defense, pushing up and creating opportunities on offense. Wisconsin created six corner opportunities throughout the game, four of which came in the second half. Due to the high intensity of the game, 21 Badgers saw the field on Sunday with constant movement in the sub box.

The Badgers fought to the very end, creating several fast breaks and many opportunities in the box. Wisconsin kept the ball mostly on Michigan State’s side in the last 15 minutes but was unable to finish with a goal. The fans roared with support throughout the heated ending, but the Badgers still fell short. 

Wisconsin will travel to Minneapolis on Thursday to face the rival Minnesota Golden Gophers in a 6 p.m. matchup.