Capital

Evers announces special election for Wisconsin’s 24th Assembly District

The election, which will replace Rep. Dan Knodl’s vacated seat in the northern suburbs of Milwaukee, will occur in July

Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers ordered a special election Friday for Wisconsin’s 24th Assembly District, which contains the northern suburbs of Milwaukee.

The election is set to take place later this year on July 18. The primary election, if necessary, will occur on June 20. 

The former seat holder, Rep. Dan Knodl (R-Germantown), moved to the 8th Senate District in an April special election to replace former Sen. Alberta Darling, a longtime Republican incumbent who announced her retirement last fall. Knodl won the seat over Democrat Jodi Habush Sinykin, securing a legislative supermajority for Wisconsin’s Republican party.

Knodl had represented the 24th District since 2009, with elections occurring every two years. Knodl will now represent the 8th Senate District through 2027.

The 24th District is one of 99 in the state Assembly and one of three which make up Wisconsin’s 8th Senate District.

Home to over 60,000 people, the 24th District is composed of half of Mequon in Ozaukee County, part of Menomonee Falls in Waukesha County, Germantown in Washington County and the villages of Brown Deer and River Hills in Milwaukee County.

In 2020, the district split its vote for the presidential election, supporting Biden by 4 points and then-Rep. Knodl by three points.  

Circulation of nomination papers began on Friday. All papers must be finalized by May 23.