Smith Residence Hall

Student death confirmed at Smith Residence Hall

A student died Monday outside Smith Residence Hall, according to an email from Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor sent to the campus community. 

"We know some people witnessed or have otherwise been affected by this loss, and we recognize how painful it will be for many in our community," Reesor's email said.

The email stated that UW-Madison can not provide any more details at this time. The University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department (UWPD) and the Dane County Medical Examiner are gathering more information but do not suspect foul play.

Some areas of the residence hall were restricted on Monday, UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said.  

An email sent earlier to Smith residents by Jeff Novak, director of UW-Madison’s Division of University Housing, affirmed that there are resources available to students. 

“We encourage anyone affected by this recent incident, or at any time, to seek support and community in ways that feel right to you,” Novak continued.

University Health Services (UHS) is offering student and resident support through meetings to connect them with campus resources, the statement said. Support options for residents will be available both in-person and virtually. 

“We acknowledge this incident will impact individuals in different ways and at different times,” Novak said. “We are here to support you. We are continuing to gather information and will share more when we can and as appropriate.”

Resources: The Dean of Students Office (608-263-5700) and the University Health Services’ Crisis Line (608-265-5600 — option nine) are available resources. Other mental health resources can be found here

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Ellie Bourdo

Ellie Bourdo is the features editor for The Daily Cardinal. Ellie previously served as associate news editor, where she specialized in breaking news and University of Wisconsin-System news reporting. She also works at WisPolitics. Follow Ellie on Twitter at @elliebourdo.

Zoe Kukla

Zoe Kukla is a Graphics Editor, state news reporter, and photographer for The Daily Cardinal. Follow her on Twitter at @ZoeKukla.