Campus in Spring

Madison spring bucket list

Even though snow flurries are still falling upon students in March, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we can start daydreaming about the beautiful springtime. A Wisconsin winter is a long one, so it’s normal to think of warm nights and flowers blooming. As the sunshine reemerges, perhaps one of the most refreshing things to do is to connect with nature. 

The first thing I think about when I hear “spring” is flowers. Botanical gardens can be refreshing and stunning when you’re in the sunlight. There are three gardens on or near campus: the Allen Centennial Garden, the University of Wisconsin - Botany Garden and Greenhouse and the Olbrich Botanical Gardens. While the main purpose of botanical gardens is to preserve plant and pollinator species, we can appreciate the general value of nature. As flowers bloom and the sun shines, students can enjoy the springtime and the new season approaching. 

Another amazing springtime activity for people to do is exercise outside. One of the many benefits of living in Madison is having access to the amazing biking and walking trails. Madison is one of the best biking cities in the country, so students should take advantage of this and get exercise in the beautiful weather. 

Located about four miles from campus is the UW Arboretum. On these terrains are miles and miles of trails for the public to use. Getting fresh air and absorbing the sunlight is great for mental health, so UW-Madison students can make the most of the weather and connect with nature. Similar to the botanical gardens, the Arboretum helps with ecological restoration, promoting a better environment. The nature and resources Madison has to offer to the public are perfect for people to take part in during the spring.

In addition to the great walking and biking paths in Madison, there are also fun lake activities that open back up in the spring. If you are a swimmer, you can always take a refreshing dip in Lake Mendota, accessible from Memorial Union. If you would rather kayak or canoe, many companies, including Outdoor UW, offer water activity rentals for a fun day on the lake. Outdoor UW supplies students and the public with constant fun when the spring weather emerges. 

The Wisconsin spring brings loads of sunlight, activities and fun after a long, snowy winter. It’s refreshing to see that there will be warm weather in the near future, and we can all get excited for the spring slowly approaching.