TargetSkincare.jpg

How to reacquire glowy skin after a harsh winter

Wisconsin winters consist of freezing temperatures and strong winds that strip your skin of moisture, causing irritation that is difficult to handle. Luckily, licensed estheticians at European Wax Center in Madison are here to share their favorite skincare products to rehydrate your skin just in time for spring! 

Ella Jaber and Annica Taalbi are wax specialists passionate about educating people on the benefits of skincare brands. Both Jaber and Taalbi stress the importance of using gentle cleansers that keep the skin both clean and moisturized. 

Jaber recommends the GlamGlow Supercleanse Cream Cleanser. This product is vegan, cruelty free and efficient at cleansing the skin without disrupting the natural skin barrier. Taalbi uses La Roche Posay’s Hydrating Gentle Cleanser. She loves this product because it contains niacinamide and ceramides. Ceramides are lipids that moisturize the skin barrier, while niacinamide is a topical version of Vitamin B-3 that eases inflammation. 

If you have sensitive skin, Jaber suggests the SkinFix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Cream. This award winning moisturizer contains active peptides, hyaluronic acid and shea butter to create a healthy glow. Peptides are amino acids necessary for skin hydration, while shea butter is a natural remedy that softens the skin. Taalbi’s favorite moisturizer is Trader Joe’s Aloe and Green Tea Gel. Aloe is essential for dry skin because it restores collagen and increases skin elasticity. 

Green tea contains plant polyphenols, which have antioxidants that protect the skin from environmental factors like cold temperatures. Taalbi drinks 128 ounces of water a day to increase blood flow and elasticity in the skin as well. She recommends incorporating fruits and vegetables with high water content into your diet if you have trouble remembering to refill your water bottle. 

Foods like watermelon, cucumber and celery are great for your skin. Vitamin D and C supplements are also a great way to keep both your body and skin healthy during the gloomy winter months. These pills provide proteins and collagen to aid in skin cell repair and protection. 

Both Jaber and Taalbi use a hyaluronic acid serum in their skin regimen because it penetrates through the pores to replenish moisture into the skin barrier. They recommend The Ordinary for any serums you may need. 

Other ingredients to look for in serums include Vitamin E, Vitamin B5, glycerin and squalane. These are often applied at night and can plump your skin instantly. Jaber uses the C.E.O Glow Vitamin C + Turmeric Face Oil from Sunday Riley as the last step in her routine. This face oil brightens, hydrates and improves fine lines on the skin.