Football_Versus_Maryland_0020.JPG

UWPD releases season-low Badgers vs. Terps game day statistics

University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Police Department (UWPD) released game day statistics for Saturday’s Badger win against Maryland.

During the game, four citations were issued to students who were then ejected from the game. Among the citations, all four were for underage drinking, two of which were UW students.

UWPD ejected 17 people from the game without citations — with seven being UW students. Six of those ejections came from tobacco in the stadium and the remainder from possession of alcohol or intoxication, disorderly patrons and a seating issue.

Eleven first aid calls and two paramedic calls occurred during the game. There were no accounts of anyone with a BAC of 0.20 or higher.

Saturday’s game had some of the lowest game day statistics of any game this season — 23 citations and 43 ejections occurred during the previous game against Purdue compared to the four citations and 17 ejections on Saturday. However, UWPD cautions against seeing this as the beginning of a trend. 

“The poor weather kept a lot of people at home and away from Camp Randall,” said Marc Lovicott, Executive Director of Communications for UWPD. “That’s the main reason why we saw fewer issues than usual.”

Camp Randall’s attendance of 74,057 on Saturday marked about 98% attendance for the stadium — slightly higher than the reported crowd of 73,502 for the Badger’s loss against Illinois on Oct. 1. However, rainy conditions in the stadium led to many fans leaving early.

“We typically see fairly similar arrest/ejection numbers each game. However, they do have a tendency to change — depending on the time of the game and the weather conditions,” said Lovicott. “[Saturday] was an example of that.”

Jasper Bernstein

Jasper Bernstein is the Associate News Editor for The Daily Cardinal. Follow him on Twitter at @jasperberns.