Drake White-Bergey UWPD Police Car.JPG

UW-Madison Police make arrest, reports of assaults on campus

The UW-Madison Police Department arrested a Waunakee teen Friday after a number of reports of assaults on campus.

On Sept. 14, UWPD released a statement in search of a person they believed to be connected to these incidents. They said the individual had been “inappropriately touching” people while passing by on a scooter.

Marc Lovicott, the Executive Director of Communications for the UWPD explained, “... our one report came to us in early September. We made the decision to share photos on social media which we believed would help us identify the suspect. And that’s ultimately how we are able to make an arrest — through community tips."

Lovicott also explained that one of the incidents occurred on-campus under the jurisdiction of UWPD, while the other incidents occurred off-campus under the jurisdiction of MPD.

UWMPD released an update on Friday saying the individual had been identified as 17-year-old Ethan Peltier from Waunakee. He was arrested on “two counts of sexual assault” and has no affiliation with UW-Madison, according to Lovicott. 

Additional charges are likely to come from other jurisdictions according to UWPD.

Ellie Bourdo

Ellie Bourdo is the features editor for The Daily Cardinal. Ellie previously served as associate news editor, where she specialized in breaking news and University of Wisconsin-System news reporting. She also works at WisPolitics. Follow Ellie on Twitter at @elliebourdo.