FQ-QrnYX0AAsQFB.jpg

UW-Madison Junior, track star, passes away from suicide

UW-Madison Junior and track athlete Sarah Shulze passed away at 21 years old on April 13 after a suicide attempt.  

Shulze’s family publicly stated that her suicide was the result of stresses she experienced on campus.  

“Sarah took her own life. Balancing athletics, academics and the demands of everyday life overwhelmed her in a single, desperate moment,” an announcement read. "Like you, we are shocked and grief stricken while holding on tightly to all that Sarah was.”

During her time at UW, Schulze was a member of cross country as well as the track and field team, which she received a scholarship for. Shulze also served on the Student Athlete Council and volunteered as a poll worker during the past presidential election.  

“We extend our deepest sympathies and sincere condolences to Sarah’s family, friends and Badger teammates during this extraordinarily difficult time,” University Athletics stated Friday. “Our primary focus is the support of the Shulze family and our student-athletes.”

Prior to coming to UW-Madison, Shulze attended Oak Park Highschool in Oak Park, Calif. where she was chosen as Daily News Cross Country Runner of the Year in 2018. Oak park Athletic Director Tim Chevalier remembered Shulze as a valuable member of the school's community.

“The world is a better place for Sarah to be a part of. While her passing has been difficult to process, I hope her stories continue to be told and her positive impact on others will always be remembered,” Chevalier said. “In the class, Sarah was a classy student. On the track, she was a fierce competitor who was absolutely electric and constantly pushed herself to be great. Off the track, Sarah was a gentle and kind soul; a beloved daughter, sister, friend and human being who will be greatly missed by those who knew and loved her.” 

Shulze’s family remembers her as a loving sister who was devoted to the well-being of her relatives. 

“Above all other things, Sarah was a power for good in the world. Her deep compassion was evident in her devotion to her sisters Abbey and Ella, the love her parents felt from her every single day, and the extra care she took in moments shared with her grandparents and cousins,” Shulze’s family said.

Schulze’s family offered a statement thanking members of the community for being supportive following her death on the 13th.

“We are overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support for Sarah and our family,” the Shulze family said. “Thank you to our friends and family that have reached out to help during this difficult time.”

A memorial remembering Shulze is scheduled for this upcoming Sunday at the Memorial Union from 5 to 8 p.m.