Dairy_Drive_Encampment_3.JPG

Man temporarily banned from encampment prior to arson allegations

Jeffrey Jalinski, 37, was arrested after one of the Dairy Drive homeless encampment's houses was burned down on March 29.

The man accused of setting fire to a cabin at the Dairy Drive homeless encampment was temporarily banned from the site beforehand, according to a criminal complaint released Thursday.

Jeffrey Jalinski, 37, was arrested at Madison’s Dairy Drive homeless encampment on March 29 after being seen setting fire to his home. Jalinski was banned for seven days from the homeless shelter due to unspecified behavior. Police said officers arrested Jalinski Tuesday night on tentative charges of arson and making threats to law enforcement. 

The fire was estimated to cause around $15,000 in damage. The complaint alleges that Jalinski “quickly reacted negatively” upon being banned from the encampment. Video reportedly shows Jalinski throwing wooden pallets into the home before leaving shortly after. The fire reportedly began one minute after Jalinski left the site.

Jalinski, who turned himself in to the Public Safety Building later that day, made several threats to officers that were perceived to be legitimate, according to the complaint. 

“I’m going to kill you and your children,” the complaint quoted Jalinski. “Believe me. I now have your name and will look you up, find out where you live and kill you. You’re going to be first.”

Jalinski is currently being held in the Dane County Jail on a cash bond of $2,000. A preliminary hearing is set for April 19.