Nelson Lu Bloom Bake Shop.jpg

Madison bakeries scale up operations to raise money for Ukraine

Bloom Bake Shop and Bayk are selling traditional Eastern European pastries to support Ukraine during the Russian Invasion.

Madison bakeries Bloom Bake Shop and Bayk are selling Ukrainian pastries to raise money for relief funds for Ukraine.

Their contributions are a part of efforts in the Madison community and countries around the globe to support Ukraine during the Russian invasion.

Bloom Bake Shop on Monroe Street is baking the traditional Jewish pastry “hamantaschen” after bakers around the world joined in a movement called “Hamantaschen for Ukraine.” The bakery is donating 70% of the proceed to Polish Humanitarian Action, a group assisting refugees at the Polish border with food and medical care. 

“I feel like as a being that cares about other beings, I think it’s impossible for it not to impact me and others. I don’t think I’m alone in my feelings,” said Bloom Bake Shop owner Annemarie Maitri.

The pastry will be sold for $2.50 from March 4-17. The bakery’s hamantaschen are hand-made in the bakery and usually have a fruit filling like raspberry or apricot.

“I hope we can make more than we can handle because that means we are really impacting people,” Maitri said. “If we sell around 3,000, that’s around $5,600.”

Maitri has shifted the bakery’s production schedule to prioritize raising funds for Ukraine. Despite the scale of the conflict, Maitri feels obligated to support the people of Ukraine.  

“We have to collectively feel that we can make a difference,” Maitri said. 

Madison’s small-batch artisan babka bakery Bayk is also donating to Ukrainian relief funds. 

Forty percent of proceeds from sales of its apricot pistachio crumble babka is going to José Andrés’ World Central Kitchen. 

Bayk specializes in a babka common throughout Eastern Europe, including Ukraine. A typical Ukrainian babka would be filled with nuts, "probably hazelnuts or walnuts," or a mix of dried fruits and nuts, says Susan Kay of Bayk.

There are many other options for Madison residents who want to learn more about Ukraine’s culture through cuisine.

Schnitzel is sold at Adamah Neighborhood Table, Essen Haus and Heritage Tavern while potato pancakes can be found at the Dairyland Family Restaurant, Pancake Cafe and Stalzy’s Deli. Borscht, the Ukrainian national dish, is a featured seasonal soup at Stalzy’s Deli.

Intermarket, located on 5317 Old Middleton Road, carries an assortment of Eastern European groceries.