Bascom-sunny

UW-Madison Online program adds new undergraduate degrees

The University of Wisconsin-Madison will launch a new online degree in fall 2022, they announced on Friday. The Bachelor’s in Liberal Studies in Applied Social Science is part of the growing UW-Madison Online program, which has added five degrees since January. 

According to the university, having a plethora of online degrees and opportunities provides students with pathways to accomplish their degrees in the environment that is most comfortable to them. 

“UW-Madison Online was created to expand access to a high-quality UW-Madison undergraduate degree to returning adult learners and transfer students who need flexibility in earning their degree and cannot attend the institution in person,” Lisa Bauer, the communications and content manager at UW-Madison Online told The Daily Cardinal.

UW-Madison has furthered this plan with the addition of the Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Studies in Applied Social Science that solidified six UW-Madison Online undergraduate degrees to be available for students by next fall. 

The degree allows students to mix curriculum with out of classroom experience, including internships and volunteer activities. 

The university cited data from Burning Glass, a analytics company, that points to 1.4 million job postings that are potentially open to liberal arts graduates. In the state of Wisconsin alone, more than 18,000 job postings required a bachelor’s degree in liberal studies and the social sciences between March 2020 and February 2021.

“At UW-Madison Online, students will learn from top faculty in their chosen career fields,” Bauer stated. “Graduates can expect to advance their careers in a variety of high-demand fields from finance and insurance, to technical services, nonprofits and more.”

Since its inception in February 2020, UW-Madison Online has also added: a Bachelor of Business Administration, Marketing; a Bachelor of Business Administration, Management; a Bachelor of Business Administration, Human Resources; and a Bachelor of Science in Consumer Behavior & Marketplace Studies. 

UW-Madison Provost John Karl Scholz believes that the addition of these online degrees gives even more Wisconsin Students the ability to learn and be successful by removing any obstacles that may stand in the way.

“I am excited to see UW-Madison extend its reach to new audiences who welcome the challenges and opportunities provided by a world-class, online Badger education in these vital business and human ecology programs,” Scholz said.