Photo of Bascom Hall.

The UW System will receive about $275 million from the American Rescue Plan. Debates remain about who should allocate federal funding coming to Wisconsin. 

How to make the most out of the semester

Being back on campus can be overwhelming for students, especially as we transition back from our COVID-19 hiatus. A staggering amount of things to do on campus can make it difficult to figure out what to take on for the semester. To help, here are some tips and tricks to get involved on and around campus!

1. Go to the Org Fair 

The Organization Fair is held every year in the Kohl Center. This year, it is held in-person on Tuesday, Sept. 14 from 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. and virtually on Thursday, Sept. 23 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.. It offers the opportunity for students to walk around and interact with current clubs and organizations on campus. Interested or passionate about something? There’s almost certainly a club for it. From fantasy sports teams to dance groups, a little bit of everything is represented at the Org Fair. It is a great introduction to all the different and unique things to do on campus. You’ll for sure want to join in on the fun!

2. Go to events at Memorial Union and Union South 

The Unions offer a lot more than just amazing food. Throughout the year, each location hosts an array of engaging and interesting activities such as events held by the WheelHouse (schedule updated weekly), Badger Fest 2021 (9/8/21) or Badger Bashes held before home football games. These events are available to students for little to no cost, and they provide awesome opportunities to meet others with a common area of interest. 

3. Join a FIG

A First Year Interest Group, otherwise known as a FIG, is offered exclusively to incoming freshmen. They are clusters of usually three courses linked together with a common theme, acting as a gateway for a smooth transition into college coursework. For example, there are FIGs for topics such as Diversity in Special Education, Exploring Biology and Food Cultures of Italy. Additionally, FIGs allow freshmen to have a sort of “anchor group” rather than being alone in a big lecture hall. Because there is one main focus class and two or three supplemental classes, it is a nice option for freshmen to gauge their interest in topics they may not have thought about before. 

4. Try a new sport 

UW’s very own RecWell provides great experiences for students, including intramural and club sports. UW-Rec sports offers everything from rugby, field hockey, soccer, FIFA on Xbox and even inner-tube water polo! Whether you are just a beginner or a seasoned professional, there is a sport on campus for you. There are countless opportunities throughout the year to sign up, and it allows for a great way to hang with friends and meet new people.