Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.09 PM.png

Madison church to give out its own ‘stimulus’ payments amid Washington’s inaction

Last week, Mt. Zion Baptist Church of Madison announced they are rolling out their own stimulus payments to local residents. 

The church’s stipend began with $500 to 50 people who proved they’re experiencing economic hardship. Any resident of Dane County experiencing a furlough or pay reduction qualified to apply for the stimulus.

Requests for a stipend are currently suspended, as the 50 spots were filled in the week, though the church expects to be able to offer more soon.

With months since the last round of stimulus payments, and many parts of the economy still reeling from downturn and public health restrictions, millions across the country are struggling with layoffs. 

“Quite a few of my members have expressed that, ‘I’ve been furloughed. I only work four days a week now. Or, I’m only working three days a week,’” Rev. Dr. Marcus Allen, pastor of Mt. Zion, said to WKOW. 

The church has been planning this “stimulus package” since last fall. While the payments are not a direct response to legislative stagnation in the federal government, the timing is opportune to help those struggling without assistance.

With few updates in regards to the federal government’s $1.9 trillion stimulus package, many have been feeling hopeless in regards to the state of the economy. It has already been over two months since the federal government has sent out the last round of stimulus checks.

“We all have a responsibility to take care of the least, the lost, the left out, the left behind, the disenfranchised, the disinherited,” Allen said. “And that’s for all people. That’s what I believe.”

Allen told WKOW that the church is also in the process of building a Family Life Center at its location on Madison's south side. The building will help the church with programs like after school programs, mental health services and its food pantry. If you’re interested in donating, you can do so here.