John_Miller_Press_Kit_Headshot.jpg

Miller will complete the term of former Regent José Delgado, who died last month. Evers said he plans to reappoint Miller to a full term on the Board. 

John Miller appointed to UW Board of Regents

Gov. Tony Evers appointed John Miller to the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Monday. 

Miller’s appointment is effective immediately. He will serve the remainder of former Regent José Delgado’s term, who died in late January. While the term ends in May, Evers said he will appoint Miller to a full seven-year term.

“I began my career serving the public and believe that I have an affinity for helping government institutions better serve their constituencies,” Miller said in a statement. “With the onset of coronavirus and ever-present budgetary challenges present today, the University System is facing a profound set of dilemmas that require smart advocacy and adherence to the core belief that public universities must play a vital role in improving the health, quality of life, the environment and agricultural sector for all citizens of Wisconsin.”

Miller attended the University of Wisconsin Law School and graduated with his degree in 2006. He previously worked as a congressional staffer for Wisconsin’s 4th Congressional District and became president and CEO of his family’s company, Miller-St. Nazianz, Inc. in 2008. 

He later founded Arenberg Holdings in 2015, a venture capital fund that makes investments in early-stage companies, especially in the Midwest. According to the company’s website, it focuses on manufacturing but “participates in all sectors including being active in real estate development in socioeconomically challenged sectors of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.”

Miller has also donated at least $170,000 to Democratic candidates and committees since 2014, according to the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign. He donated over $30,000 to Evers between January 2017 and June 2020. 

Evers said Miller will “bring a well-rounded perspective” to the Board.

“John recognizes the role the UW System plays in connecting the dots across our communities, our economy, and the culture and history of our state, as well as our future, and I believe he will be an excellent addition to the Board of Regents,” Evers said in a statement.

The UW Board of Regents makes policies and rules for the UW System, appoints chancellors and reviews university budgets, among other responsibilities. Sixteen of the Board’s 18 members are appointed by the governor and are subject to confirmation by the state Senate. 

Hope Karnopp

Hope Karnopp is the news manager and dabbles in music reviews at The Daily Cardinal. She previously hosted the Cardinal Call for WORT-FM and edited state news.