FIREFLY LANE

Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalke star side by side in Kristin Hannah's 'Firefly Lane' which is set to play out on Netflix on Feb. 3.

Kristin Hannah’s ‘Firefly Lane’ turns into Netflix series

The novel ‘Firefly Lane’ was published in 2013 by New York Times bestselling author Kristin Hannah. This touching novel carries the reader through three decades of friendship, heartache, family and loss. The emotional and relatable book has been turned into a series, which will be released on Netflix on Feb. 3, 2021. 

Beginning in the summer of 1974, Kate Mularkey is completely friendless and struggling socially in eighth grade. To her surprise, the “coolest girl in the world,” Tully Hart, who is beautiful, ambitious and smart, moves across the street. Based on shallow appearances, these two girls seem to be as opposite as they get. 

Kate, a bit awkward, with an average family who frequently embarrasses her. Tully, a mysterious and carefree girl, who enters their friendship with a big secret. But, as the two of them get to know each other, we realize they are more alike than they thought. By the end of the summer, they are inseparable and promise to be best friends forever.

Hannah’s writing tempo is swift and direct, making this an easy read that is hard to put down. The drama of the characters, their choices and shared bonds deliver a heartfelt reaction to the reader. You can picture yourself in the scenes and internally debate the decisions made by Kate and Tully. Despite what’s thrown at them; adversity, jealousy and bitterness, this friendship is a pillar of strength throughout their lives. Their bond is tested with a single act of betrayal and that is when the heart of the novel shows itself best.

This novel explores the true value of friendship, and I can confidently attest that once you read it, there will be tears. It will bring you back to your first and if you’re lucky, still, best friend. You will not forget it and it will be a book you’ll want to recommend as I am doing right here. 

Despite being released eight years ago, this story is still as relevant today as it was then. The complications and joys of friendship woven throughout ‘Firefly Lane’ provide a heartwarming read that you will be sad when you finish.

Netflix will be releasing 10 episodes of “Firefly Lane” on Feb. 3, according to Variety. The series is starring Katherine Heigl, who will be playing the eldest version of Tully, and Sarah Chalke as the eldest version of Kate.

Based on the preview for the Netflix series, it appears it will mirror the novel. I am anxiously counting down to Feb. 3 and hope the series lives up to the book it is based on.