News_FluShot.jpg

Public Health department plans to combat 'twindemic' with free flu shots for uninsured Dane County residents

Uninsured residents of Madison are now able to receive free flu shots through Public Health Madison & Dane County’s drive-through flu clinic at the Alliant Energy.

“There is no vaccine for COVID-19, but there is a safe, effective vaccine to prevent the flu,” the health department said in a news release Tuesday encouraging residents to take advantage of the offering. 

The free flu shots will be available for Dane County adults and children 6 months and older who do not have insurance as well as Dane County children 6 months and older who have Medicaid or BadgerCare. The drive-through will be open Tuesday through Saturday, no appointment needed. No ID is needed and immigration status will not be asked. 

“We’re so happy to be able to provide flu shots alongside the COVID testing site that’s already proven to be really convenient for members of our community,” stated Sarah Hughes, immunization coordinator for Public Health Madison & Dane County.” We’re making this as easy as COVID testing, with the ability to get your shot without even having to leave your car.”

There are rising concerns that the upcoming flu season, coupled with the COVID-19 pandemic, may overwhelm the healthcare system. To prevent this, the public health department chose to offer a free flu clinic reserved only for community members who lack insurance coverage. Health officials hope to close the gap between residents that can afford healthcare and those that cannot by providing a free option.

“Our goal is for everyone in Dane County to get a flu shot, and to get it early before flu starts to circulate in our community. This is how we can prevent a ‘twindemic,’” Hughes said. “While flu shots are readily available through clinics and pharmacies, our hope is that adding this flu clinic, free of charge, for our community members who lack insurance coverage will help make our goal possible.” 

The free flu shots will be offered alongside the Alliant Energy Center’s COVID-19 testing site until November 21st, or when the vaccine supply runs out. 

Addison Lathers

Addison Lathers is the Editor in Chief of The Daily Cardinal. She has covered city and campus news and held two editor positions. Follow her on Twitter at @addisonlathers.